Thursday, 21 November 2013

Exhausting business

Now the Austin Maestro is finally running like a car should, it was time to change the dingy exhaust system. The band aid repairs made by previous owner were starting to make indecent noises. 
The hardest job was to convince the studs on the manifold to release the old front pipe. I cut the pipe and removed the whole manifold to split the nuts with my nut splitter on the workbench. After this it was just a matter of fitting the new steel gasket and the rest of the system.

Here you can see the new system in place and the old center box off the car. The bandage repair actually seemed to last. It was the other seam that was blowing. With the new exhaust in place, I drove the Maestro into the shed for winter hibernation.