Thursday 14 January 2021

Austin Ten Top Hose change

The top radiator hose on the Austin Ten was leaking ever so slightly, but as the water was leaking onto the top of the head and into the spark plug recesses, I didn't like it. So I thought it was about time to change the top hose to stop the seepage. 

Sometime in the distant past someone had added a system of two industrial steel pipes and three pieces of rubber hose and six hose clamps to accommodate two temperature sensors. One for a gauge and one for an electric fan. I decided to remove the steel pipes and sensors  and to replace them with one bent hose as that is the factory setup. The old system has worked well for the past 22 years or maybe even longer, so it was a clever setup, but I prefer to go back to a single hose for simplicity.   
I tried to buy the correct top hose, but they seemed to be out of stock, so for the time being I decided to use a generic flexible hose. 

This is what I recieved. A very sturdy thing. Though it is a little longer than I would like.

So, I shortened the hose by cutting the sleeves  at either end. Of course the hose was a little too tight now, but I could stretch them enough with my set of pipe expanders. Now the hose fits well, so I filled the radiator  with new coolant.
I left the electric fan in place, though I haven't decided on a way to activate it yet, but as the car has never come close to overheating I'm not worried. If anything, it seems that I have eliminated a few obstructions from the cooling system.   
Job done!