Thursday, 25 November 2021
MGB demister demystification
This was very hard to see and I needed to crawl into the tight space in the footwell. Here you can see the rather tight work area, but with a torch I could just see how the plastic hose was just randomly inserted into the airbox. Some air might have been able to reach the windscreen, but messing around with the radio and electric connections had displaced the loose hoses, so now there was no airflow at all. I never wondered much about this, as it is an old car and demisting was accomplished by wiping the screen with a rag and driving with the window and quarterlights open anyway. It occurred to me this was probably not the way the car was designed, so I decided to investigate.
Having found the flaw I cut two short ends of pipe and inserted these between the plastic and the two corresponding holes in the airbox.