Saturday, 16 February 2019

Mgb leaky clutch slave cylinder

 It was a nice early Spring day, but the Mg wouldn't play..
The slave cylinder was leaking.  Though I'd changed the seal in 2016 it was very wet and ugly.
Even out of the car it made a mess.
New cylinder in place and bled hydraulics. Now we have a sweetly engaging clutch.  

Monday, 21 January 2019

Jeep XJ Baby Wagoneer: Bearing, stumble and lock tricks

With snow and frost you can expect some problems with uncooperative locks, but the driver's doorlock wasn't just frozen it was so worn out the key got stuck in. At the same time one of the wheel bearings started rumbling and the engine ran uneven at idle. This happened just before the annual test, so it needed fixing soon.
 The lock cam out with a little persuasion. There was a lot of dirt and rust inside.
Cleaning out the lock and removing a few broken parts got the lock to work adequately again. 
Here it is ready to go back in again. 
Now it was time to start on the new bearing. These come as a complete hub assembly.
 After removing the brake pads, caliper and disk I could reach the three bolts to remove the assembly.
This is the rusty old hub. With the assembly out it was easy to hear the bearing was bad.

Though the picture is blurred the three holes for the bolts are visible here.
 Here we have the new hub in place.

 This is the Idle air valve. It could be the cause of the irregular idle.
It was dirty, so I took it out and cleaned the valve. The car runs smoothly now.

Friday, 11 January 2019

Messerschmitt sewing machine (ready for take off)

I knew they existed, but it was a big surprise to be offered an actual Messerschmitt sewing machine from the Fifties or Sixties.
The company is better known for building airplanes during ww2. But after that war they had to revert to building more peaceful machines like sewing machines and even small cars. 
The logo is very similar to the logos used on the cars.
The rear of the machine is very clean. The motor is built into the body though the drive works by an external belt.
The bobbin and bobbin case look very different from the usual Pfaff versions. The bobbin is secured by a clip so it can't fall out while fitting the bobbin case.
This is where the bobbin case goes.
The accessories are stored in this plastic bag. 
The case is worn, but still protects the machine well.

Wednesday, 9 January 2019

Naumann and G.Kok (R.Knoch, Saalfeld) sewing machines

This is the second Naumann in the collection. This one is branded "Naumann" only in stead of  "Seidel und Naumann". Manufactured in Dresden Germany.
There are differences especially in the decorations, but also the stitch length lever is in a different position.
 The cover has some nice veneer and inlays while the name is written in "gold"
 Another interesting machine is the " G.Kok" 
The machine is Branded G.Kok. The name is printed rather crudely over the decorations. G.Kok might be the name of the importer of the machine or even a local retailer. Identical machines were made under the "Ossa" and  "Victoria" names.
 I suppose the "K" might stand for the Richard Knoch works in Saalfeld a/ Saale in Germany.
Though there are some very nice decorations on the case, the lack of a brand name suggests this machine was manufactured without branding so it could be sold onder different names.

Friday, 7 December 2018

Essex Miniature Sewing machine

Inside this rather small box you'll find a fully functional sewing machine. As it is a small machine it was often used as a toy but it is a very useful portable sewing machine. 
This sewing machine makes a very simple chain stitch and was manufactured from 1946 to 1956 by the Essex Engineering Works. The design was based on the Singer 20 model. This one might have had an electric motor at some time or other, but it works very well with the handcrank now. 

This is the rear. You can see were the electric motor was fitted to the base.
As you can see the manual refers to the "Essex Mark II electric portable".
I threaded the machine as per the manual and it made a perfect chain stitch without any adjustments.
Because of the chain stitch there is no need for a lower thread bobbin. The hook catches the thread and loops the thread around itself. Very simple and very clever.

Thursday, 6 December 2018

Jeep XJ Baby Wagoneer heater valve failure

Our Baby Wagoneer has actually been very good and has proved to be a very reliable car but this time something actually broke, but it broke when I arrived home. Still it was a wet and steamy mess when the plastic part of the heater valve broke and dumped a lot of water over the engine. In the picture above the arrow convenietnly points on the broken connection.
I considered buying a new valve, but I wasn't convinced the plastic new part would be of good enough quality to last, so I opted for another kind of valve as used with domestic heaters. Of course I lost the option of the vacuum operated system, but it is a very sturdy piece of iron and brass, so I expect this to last a while at least.
Here it is fitted in place of the plastic valve. I found that probably I could have just used a straight piece of hose in stead as the heater controls inside the car seem to deliver hot or cold air as before. even with this valve completely open. Maybe in a hot summer I'll want to close it. Oh well, at least it looks suitably industrial.

Wednesday, 21 November 2018

Gritzner TS Sewing machine

According to the serial number this Gritzner sewing machine was manufactured in 1899 or even 1900. 
 Nice Gritzner badge.
 Mother of pearl inlays might make this a luxury version.
 These mother of pearl inlays seem to have been applied a little haphazardly.
 This wheel and crank unit is very similar to the version on the later R.