Sunday 8 March 2009

Wolseley Clutch repair

The Wolseley clutch lost fluid. I had to add regularly. I found that the leak was at the back of the master cylinder and fluid was leaking inside.Time to change the master for a nice new one before taking it out after the winter. The hardest part off course was to remove the clip from the pedal inside the car. I'm too big or the car's too small.

Nasty master with black gunge removed. You can see the leaking fluid had attacked the paint.

I used this nifty tool originally designed to remove oil from diferentials and gearboxes. I keep this one for dirty brakefluid only as you wouldn't want that stuff in a diff!

A shiny new mastercylinder!

This is the old seal. The piston and bore look good, so I think I'll find myself a nice repairkit and rebuild myself a nice spare.

When the master was out and dismantled I could see the seal was soft and
damaged. That was the cause of the leak and the black fluid in the cylinder
the slave was still good as I'd changed that last year or so. I seem to have
to change a slave every six years and the master had lasted about fifteen.
Bleeding was an easy one-person job with my "hillbilly peg-leg".

Looking better with the new master and anticorrision wax on the bulkhead.
Ready to roll!