Wednesday 29 February 2012

Mini Grinder noises

I can say I have properly worn out this alternator now. Sometime last year I noticed one of the fixing eyes had sheared off.


I remember fitting the dynamo in a hurry about fifteen years ago, so probably the mounts didn't line up. The alternator seemed to work fine otherwise. Even with a broken
mounting, so I left it for a while. After the winter I decided to clean the car and engine bay with my new pressure washer. Water must have gotten into the already worn out bearing and a few days ago
the Mini started making loud grinding noises from the Alternator. Replacement was obviously overdue.

Almost ordered a nice new alternator, but realized I might have a good one in the pile of hoarded parts. I did, and after fitting, the red light went off. It' s nice to be lucky eh?